One of the things I have been wanting to try lately is a new morning routine. I have heard about the many benefits of starting out your day in a mindful way, and thought this might be something worth trying. Honestly, right now my morning starts by me hitting the snooze button at least once, sometimes twice, and staying in bed until the last possible minute. I guess I should mention that I have a 9 month old who still wakes up a couple of times a night. As much as I'd like to blame it on that, the fact is, I have never been a morning person. I have always hit the snooze button, whether I've been woken up in the middle of the night by a crying baby or not.
Benefits of a morning routine:
• In the morning is when our brains are most clear and focused.
• Starting out the day on the right foot sets a positive tone for the rest of the day.
• Mornings are quiet and peaceful - making it a good time to think and reflect.
• It is the most productive time of day. Get those important things done first so you don't have to worry about them the rest of the day.
• You'll have more time for breakfast and exercise.
• If you sleep in, there is more of a chance you will feel rushed, or you'll be late. This will create stress and start your day off on the wrong foot.
• Instead of getting up at 7 am on weekdays, I am going to gradually move it up to 5 am. I'm going to shoot for waking up about 15-20 minutes earlier, moving it up every few days, until I reach my goal.
• I am going to aim for at least 15 minutes of stretching or yoga. I might even incorporate some walking or running outside in the springtime.
• I want to spend some time catching up on reading.
• I plan on dedicating at least an hour every morning on my business. I'm thinking this will mostly be spent writing blog posts or designing for my stationery line. Either way, it will be something enjoyable and something to look forward to.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Do you have a morning routine? If so, what are your favorite parts of your morning?